Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blueberry Delight...



I don't know why I am feelin' the food lately?? Really, summer is just the perfect time to fall in love with food - watermelons, strawberries, vine ripened tomatoes and blueberries...

My son noticed that we had quite a few blueberries just sitting in the frig and suggested we come up with some sort of desert. Now, I will admit - the vegan baker I am not BUT I think I pulled through with this one.

I thought a nice blueberry crisp would do just right with those left over berries so here is the recipe below. I went out and got some vanilla soy ice cream to go along with it. This recipe is easy and quick. You can substitute the sugar with raw brown sugar or agave (although it may not be to "crispy" with the agave). Let me know what you think...

Sistah C's Blueberry Delight

a large container of fresh blueberries (washed and stemmed)
1 cup of vegan pancake mix (dry)
3/4 cup of light brown sugar
1 dash of sea salt
1/3 cup of soft vegan butter (ie. Earth Balance)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 or 350 degrees. Take a square glass dish and oil it well with some butter or spray oil. Take your washed berries and place in glass dish. Sprinkle some dry pancake mix on the berries to lightly cover them.

In a bowl mix all your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cinnamon and sea salt). Add the soft vegan butter to the mix and turn it over with your hands. Place the mixture over the berries in the dish - and make as even as possible. Place in oven for 30 minutes until bubbling hot. Allow to cool and serve with some vegan ice cream.

Yummy,
Sistah C

1 comments:

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

I looove desserts like this...

My friend used to work in advertising and told me that ALL of the food photos in print ads and on tv are NOT the actual food item...she said that "real" food doesn't photograph well unless the lighting is precise and the food consistently is precise....

Who knew it would be THAT deep??

Thanks for this yummy recipe!!

I can't wait to try it!

(smiles)
Lisa