Thursday, October 18, 2007

Gifts from Sistah Mama Earth That Heal You



I have longed believed that we can heal ourselves using what is around us. A herbalist I once knew told me what grows around our homes is what we need. When I take a walk around my neighborhood I take notice of what grows in my neighbor's yards and what grows along the sidewalks. A plant I see often is dandelion. I have heard people call dandelion a weed but it is one of the most beneficial herbs for the digestive system - especially when it comes to digestion of fat. This herb also helps to relieve cramps. You can eat the leaves in salad or use the roots and leaves in a tea. NOTE: Don't harvest it from your lawn unless you are sure the ground is free from insecticides.

Recipe for the Mid-day Sluggishness

Take 1 heaping teaspoon of dried dandelion root boiled in 1 1/2 cups of water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Boiling it for this long allows for you to extract the full medicinal properties fo the herb. Let it cool and drink warm.

This is a great solution for those times when you are experiencing a low from too much caffiene and sugar.

Spiritually, dandelion is said to sharpen your intuition and to assist with making sense of your dreams.

Peace,
Sistah Camara

0 comments: