Saturday, January 19, 2008

EVERYDAY MATTERS...



I just finished reading this book called Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory - well, actually it is an art and written journal. It is the sketches and thoughts of a man whose has to re-examine what is important to him after his wife is seriously injured in a subway accident. I recommend this book if you too are looking at meaning lately and wondering about what REALLY MATTERS...
WHAT MATTERS TO ME?
I think it is a question that I always ended up asking myself after one of life's major lessons - and it always seems to come back to a feeling more than words. It may be hard to describe but I will try...
it is like catching the scent of a sweet flower as the wind blows by...
it is like an unexpected gift from a dear friend...
it is like a compliment from the most unlikely place...
it is like that water that comes after a dry thrist...
it is like the look on a child's face when she learns something new...
it is like that feeling you think you would have if you won the lottery...
it is like the first time you tell someone you love them and they love you too...
it is like a deep blue sky...
it is like eating a nice meal...
it is like standing back and looking at something you have created and realizing it is pretty damn good...
it is like seeing a child being born...
it is like that emotion that rises up inside of you when you hear that certain song...
it is like that sigh of relief when you know you have been forgiven...
it is like that feeling you get when you know you have not been forgotten...
it is like the warmth of the sun on your body when you move into the light...
it is like knowing you are blessed regardless of the appearance of anything else...

I have realized through the divorce process that there is this illusion that "things" matter. What really mattered was the relationship not the things. I woke up one morning and realized that I was so blessed - I had a place to live, I had my health,
I had food to eat, I had friends, I had the love of my son and family...I AM SO RICH! For months I felt like I needed my husband to give me MY things back and to pay me what he took from our accounts and I realize for almost 6 months now I have lived - I MEAN I HAVE REALLY LIVED without anything he has been holding on to...I realize that I will continue to live...I will start over AND I will continue to LIVE. No one can take this away from me, NO ONE... I AM A DIVINE CHILD OF THE CREATOR, MY ANCESTORS HAVE MY BACK...MY SPIRIT HAS BEEN RESTORED...if the price to pay is but a few material things then LET IT BE...
THIS IS HOW CONFIDENT I AM IN THE BLESSING OF MY LIFE!

My Message to You
Don't wait until tomorrow to be great, to be wonderful, to be loved and respected. Don't sacrifice another moment. THE WORLD NEEDS YOU, YOUR TALENTS, YOUR LOVE AND YOUR SPIRIT. WE EACH MUST DO OUR PART but it can't be done in oppression, selfishness and lack. TRUST SPIRIT, TRUST YOURSELF.
Peace,
Sistah C


40 DAY ART JOURNAL PROCESS
Tomorrow I am beginning the art journal process online. I am just going to be organic with the whole thing. Just have fun with this and let go...I got a children's hardback book from goodwill for $1.50 and decided to alter it. You can use an old book, an old binder and make pages out of various materials like paper bags... use what is around you... some of us live in good ole' America where we got too much of everything we don't need. Use fabric - old pieces of dresses, shirts, etc...
Hobby Lobby, Michaels or any arts and crafts place will have the materials you need. Don't spend a lot...
Here is a suggested list to get started...
a journal or old book or pieces of paper and a binder...or whatever...
Gesso or/and white acrylic paint
paint brushes of various sizes
sponges
scissors
tissue paper
old gift wrap
newspaper
stamps/ink
old post/greeting cards
shells
glitter
glue
paper
water color
acrylic paints
paper plate (for palette)
cup for water
paper towels
gel pins
sharpie pens
a nice place to create...

I think I will start with a picture of myself...but you could start with anything...

Until tomorrow.... Have a beautiful and blessed day!!!

0 comments: