Thursday, January 31, 2008

My Question




I woke up this morning and the message was more of a question...

Can a woman sound the war horn? Can a female raise her voice in a warrior cry and know that her brothas raise their voice too in solidarity? If I slit the throat of a black wild boar and say "lets drink!" who will drink with me and march into battle with me? If I - a woman says "enough is enough! we fight NOW!" will I only hear the echo of my own voice?
You see nothing is how it use to be and I am not sure that we will go back to the past in our "promised future". As I grow older I realize that the Spirit World is forever lifting the veil - pushing us towards a new future - pushing us towards change.
Sometimes I think we as a people suffer so much because we can not give the "war horn" to the sistah - we can't trust her to know that it is time. Yet this begs the question of who was the original keeper of time? The cycle of time runs in a woman - a woman's menstrual cycle runs in a 28 day process. It is said that a woman menstrual cycle is linked to the cycle of the moon. Traditional understanding indicates that women menstruate at the time of the new moon, and ovulate at the full moon.
The word "menstruation" is etymologically related to moon. The terms "menstruation" and "menses" come from the term mensis (month), which in turn relates to the early term mene (moon). It is said that women became oppressed by men when they discovered their secret of time keeping.
We Sistahs are very valuable. Our worth is worth more than our weight in gold. We are able to give birth to a nation and yet there is this constant message that we are simple objects - to be used for pleasure, used for anger and discarded we are deemed useless. In a world of obvious power imbalances and oppression we still have to "prove" that we are abused, that crimes have been committed against us. After all our cries fall on deaf ears we still wake to fix the breakfast and get the children off to school. How can a nation built literally on the milk of Afrikan women's breast ever think they will succeed at any -I mean ANY ENDEAVOR without her total liberation?
Peace,
Sistah C

0 comments: