Monday, January 7, 2008

TRUST ACTIONS NOT WORDS- DAY 30-40 DAY PROSPERITY PLAN




WOW!!! Ten more days of the 40-Day Prosperity Process (for those who started with me). I am knowing that everyone on this journey is realizing their treasures each day - in gratitude.
This week I am dedicating the blog to the subject of Domestic Violence each day. I hope those who reside in the Atlanta area will attend the Community Assembly this weekend on January 12th, 6pm at the Afrikan Djeli, 840 Ralph Abernathy Blvd, Atlanta.


THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE
Did you know that domestic violence has a cycle? Yes, it does. When I was in my undergrad studies I volunteered for a domestic violence crisis line - being a part of the organization I had to learn about the cycle of violence. I can say that this knowledge helped me realize I was in a situation that was getting more and more abusive. I knew when it got physical that I was no longer "imagining" things that were happening. It did take some time for me to really get it- and I have to say a lot of that had to do with trying to work things out. I had this vision for my marriage to be this "indestructible rock" that was going to ride out any storms of trouble. This outlook masked the actual abuse that was happening...I had on these rose colored glasses- I didn't want to see what I was seeing - what I was experiencing. I kept trying to talk everything over - I kept trying to clarify and nothing worked. My son was starting to rebel and I felt myself getting more and more scared for him. I would call family meetings -even tried to get friends that were married for a while to help facilitate our process...things would shift for a day or two and then we were back on the road to hell. I share this because I of all people - a Domestic Violence counselor -should have peeped this whole situation from the start -yet I couldn't really see it all and when I did see it I was in denial. Shame plays a big role in keeping abuse silent - true healing happens when you break the silence and reach out to those who can help you. Please see the article below.
Peace,
Sistah C

Cycle of Abuse

A cycle of abuse occurs in most domestic violence situations. A Cycle of abuse is abuse that occurs in a repeating pattern. Abuse is identifiable as being cyclical in two ways: it is both generational and episodic. Generational cycles of abuse are passed down, by example and exposure, from parents to children. Episodic abuse occurs in a repeating pattern within the context of at least two individuals within a family system. It may involve spousal abuse, child abuse, or even elder abuse.

Stages of Abuse?

Domestic violence has three main stages. These stages will vary in time and intensity, but they are generally present in all instances of domestic violence.

Stage One: Tension Building

During stage one of domestic violence, small physical assaults may occur. Usually, the victim is able to calm down the abuser through techniques he or she has learned from dealing with the abuser in the past. Many abuse victims will inwardly deny that their partners are abusing them. They may smooth over the small isolated assaults and make excuses for the abusers in their minds. However, many abuse victims do recognize that these small incidents will generally escalate and lead to a bigger, more dangerous incident. Victims seem to take it upon themselves to keep things running smoothly so as not to aggravate the abuser. The psychological stress that a victim endures during this stage is brutal.

Stage Two: Explosion

During stage two of domestic violence, nothing the victim can do or say can appease or stop the abuser’s violence. All of the tensions from stage one are released. The abuser has no self-control and can severely injure his or her partner. The abuser is in a blind rage and is oblivious to the damage he or she is inflicting on his or her partner. This phase of the cycle is generally shorter than the other two stages. However, the abuse that a victim endures during this stage is tormenting.

Stage Three: Calm/Relief

Stage three of domestic violence is welcomed by both the abuser and the victim. Tension and brutality has been released and loving kindness is put in its place. The abuser will be very remorseful, charming and warm. Promises are made to the victim and the abuser may shed tears. Both the abuser and the victim want to believe that it will never happen again. Stage three is when most victims of domestic violence get the courage to leave.

If you are a victim of domestic violence, help is available. You can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE. They will direct you to places in your area where you can seek help.
by Mamashealth.com

DAY 30 (write it down, meditate on it, journal your thoughts)
30. I keep my mind and thoughts off "this world" and I place my entire focus on God/The Creator within as the only Cause of my prosperity. I acknowledge the Inner Presence as the only activity in my financial affairs, as the substance of all things visible. I place my faith in the Principle of Abundance in action within me.

0 comments: