Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Blessings of Mama Earth...


Bitsy baby watermelon...I have about 3 now...

I think I mentioned a couple of months ago that my son and I started a garden. I just don't think it makes sense to not be able to feed yourself if things got hard - plus I LOVE gardening. I think I have a green thumb although I am not sure where I got it from - secretly - my mother has silk flowers everywhere in her house... Anyway, I asked her in May if my son and I could have a small plot in her backyard and to my surprise she said yes. So, my son and I went to work -turning over soil adding more soil- going to the horse farm for manure - taking out rocks. It took a little time to get it together- even my wise friend came over to help.


My son turning over soil in May...

We planted tomato seedlings and a bell pepper seedling and the rest we planted from seed. Wow, to see those seeds pop with sprouts and then to see those tiny sprouts just take off into a full grown plant! I am in awe of Mama Nature. She is sooo generous and so nurturing.


a tiny, itsy bitsy cucumber growing in my garden...

Today, I had my first salad from my garden! I harvested the leaves of the lettuce and they were so beautiful. I am just coming off of a 10day fast and I just loved the ability to go out back and pick my dinner. It was so liberating. I then went to the farmer's market and got some fixins to add because my garden is in a second cycle of production and I have some things and not others.


lettuce greens from my garden...


my first "garden" salad...


I know but I love this tahini dill dressing I made from scratch...yummy...

I took pictures...I am so proud. When I get my own place I plan to have a huge garden -if not a mini farm. I am a green hippie SistahGoddess!!! For the next few weeks I will be eating raw. Today I made some spicy flax seed crackers that I have in the dehydrator right now. I will use those to eat with my guac or nut pate'. Anyway, food, food, food...it is amazing how much I love natural food after a fast...it just feels right.

Peace,
Sistah C

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That salad looks so good! I have a garden in the works (enchanting the things I want into existence) I see lettuce, tomato, bell peppers, squash, so on & so forth. Happy planting

Camara Meri Rajabari said...

Yesssss, it was soooo good...Nothing is better than eating directly from the earth. Happy planting to you, too!

Brown Sugar said...

That's Great! Now that I have a house me and my little one will be starting a garden as well. I'm all about being able to feed yourself.

Amenta said...

Sistah C, that salad is killing me, it looks so good. I just began my 10 day fast today and to pull this up has me salivating...LOL I think I started my garden around the same time you did and I am getting my tomatos and peppers not...Happy eating!!

Peace

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

yum

yum

yum

*smiles*